(I hope these aren’t my only legacy)
The following recipe is for a snack many of my clients have just fallen in love with. It’s easy to make and utterly delicious. It’s also very satisfying for both the taste buds and the appetite. Should you find yourself hungry between meals and need “a little something” I think you’ll agree that these are wonderful.
- One regular-sized jar of almond butter (or any other nut butter—other than peanut or cashew butter—that you prefer). Stir surface oil in well!
- 5-10 oz (an approximation) of organic nuts (almonds, pecans, macadamias, brazil nuts, pistachio’s…etc, preferably pre-soaked and dried). Use a food processor to grind or chop to desired consistency/”chunkiness”.
- Handful of organic sesame seeds and/or chia seeds (great source of mucilaginous fiber to help “keep that train rolling”)
- Organic shredded coconut (as much or as little as you like)
- Alcohol-free (glycerin-based) vanilla extract, or powdered/crushed vanilla beans
- One full brick (room temperature) of KerryGold butter (decidedly a “key” ingredient)
- Organic coconut flour (Bob’s Red Mill makes a good one) – add for additional yummy coconut flavor and/or better binding
- Organic coconut butter…(you have to taste this stuff to believe it!)
- Stevia (for added sweetness, if needed or desired)
- Bee pollen (why not? Good source of flavinoids)
- Organic cacao nibs (Dagoba has quality ones) – adds chocolaty flavor without adding sugar. Also, cacao nibs have roughly 2X the antioxidant content of green tea!
- Lately I’ve taken to adding a scoop of Garden Of Life “Super Seed” (fiber supplement) for some added great texture and flavor
- Whatever floats your boat (and happens to be low carb)
Blend the above in a bowl thoroughly, then spoon out into little “balls” onto wax paper on a plate or tray. Refrigerate for a good hour, or until these firm up.
If you want to take them with you, you might consider placing them in a small portable cooler. You could also individually wrap these in wax paper to secure them (if they can’t be refrigerated) so that they don’t get all over everything if they melt.
Prepare your taste buds to be dazzled!