For all you raw meat lovers out there…or soon to be.
FYI–the photo is not mine but is an approximation of what the final dish will look like. This carpaccio can be used as a gourmet appetizer or as a simple raw food meal guaranteed to curl your toes with delight. Even if you have never had raw meat (or have been afraid to try it) you’ll be surprised at how easy it is to love. Raw meat is actually easier to digest and contains many enzymes, nutrients and hydrophylic colloids lacking in cooked meat. –Good stuff, Maynard.
- One 100% grass-fed/finished eye-of-round roast (I get mine from US Wellness Meats), frozen solid for two weeks and thawed for about 1 day (still semi-frozen…this is key)
- An electric meat slicer (this really works best) OR a very sharp knife and steady hand
- A few thinly sliced rounds of organic sweet onion
- Organic capers (small)
- Organic and (preferably) unfiltered extra virgin olive oil (@1/4 cup or to taste)
- Organic and aged balsamic vinegar (@1/8 cup or to taste)
- A quality organic prepared mustard (about 1 TB or to taste)
- Organic freshly cracked black pepper and/or garlic pepper to taste
- A handful of shredded organic parmesan cheese or shredded sheeps milk gouda
- A small handful (or more) of micro-greens (optional…but a lovely addition)
- Sliced avocado (an excellent garnish and nice extra source of healthy fat–again, optional but lovely)
Slice several paper thin slices of semi-frozen eye-of-round roast and arrange on a large plate or platter.
Arrange sliced onions and capers over the top
Season with garlic pepper, pinch of Celtic sea salt and/or cracked black pepper
Blend olive oil, vinegar and mustard together, whisking with a fork until blended, then pour evenly over the meat
Sprinkle cheese (optional) over the top and add microgreens
Add sliced avocado on the side and season, if desired
Serve, savor and devour (and prepare to become thoroughly addicted)