There are versions of this all over the Internet. I’ve adapted this recipe to healthier standards and better quality ingredients than most. The main crust ingredient, believe it or not, is cauliflower–and it is truly delicious (almost seemingly decadent). It’s also very low carb. I happen to be bovine casein sensitive, so I used sheep’s milk cheeses for this recipe at home. Extra crusts can be made and supposedly frozen for later. Who needs Domino’s, anyway?
- 1 cup cooked, shredded or “riced” organic cauliflower
- 1 free range, organic chicken or duck egg
- 1 cup organic sheep milk “mozzarella-like” Greek cheese or regular organic mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp organic fennel
- Pinch of organic caraway seeds
- 1-2 cloves finely chopped organic garlic
- 1 tsp organic Italian herbs
- 2 tsp organic parsley
- Organic mozzarella-like cheese (or any variety you like)–or–I’ve had some nice results with a Sheep’s milk Gouda I found at Trader Joe’s
- Organic low carb tomato/marinara sauce
- Whatever quality meats or seafood you like
- Organic artichokes
- Organic veggies, spinach, onions, mushrooms, garlic, olives…the works!
Delicious and easy!
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil spray.
In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg, and cheese. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, caraway, finely chopped garlic, oregano and parsley.
Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).
Remove the pan from the oven.
To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.
Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (5-10 minutes)
Many thanks to Dee Lieber for providing the tantalizing photo for this recipe!